Helping Families Resolve Family Issues Affecting Your Children

Child custody and child support discussions typically arise in divorce. However, there are other contexts where legal custody and support must be established, including paternity, unmarried parents, civil unions and adoption proceedings. Issues involving children may also require revision if one parent needs to relocate, accomplished via a formal modification request to the court.

Protecting The Rights Of Parents And Children

In each context, the court will concern itself with a child’s well-being. However, the specific standard varies.

  • In adoptions, a prospective parent must demonstrate that he or she can provide a safe home environment.
  • In custody determinations, the legal standard is the best interest of the child.
  • In child support calculations, courts consider the statutory guidelines, as well as any other relevant factors, such as each parent’s income, health insurance coverage costs for a child, day care costs and other financial burdens.

We have been helping parents in need of our family law advocacy for over 15 years. During that time, we have incorporated the most recent legal developments into our advocacy. For example, the way a court interprets the best interest of the child standard has evolved.

Keeping Pace With Changing Family Demographics

Today, courts understand that a child can benefit from the influence of both parents, as well as other loving family members. For that reason, courts typically apply a presumption of joint legal custody between parents, even if only one parent has residential custody. Courts also acknowledge the positive influence of other family members, such as grandparents, aunts or even adult siblings.

Contact An Experienced Family Law Attorney

As a law firm that focuses exclusively on family law, we stay on top of the most recent legal developments in this area. Our experience allows us to suggest creative solutions to your questions. Contact us online to schedule a consultation at our Mount Laurel office or call 856-234-2855.