What to do if your spouse refuses to cooperate in a divorce

On Behalf of | Jun 17, 2024 | DIVORCE - Divorce |

Dealing with an uncooperative spouse during a New Jersey divorce can be challenging. You may find it helpful to consider some steps to guide you through this difficult situation.

Keep communication open

Attempt to maintain open and respectful communication with your spouse during the divorce. Sometimes, clear and calm discussions can resolve misunderstandings and encourage cooperation.

Document everything

Keep detailed records of all interactions with your spouse, including texts, emails, and notes from conversations. This documentation can be useful if you need to present evidence of their lack of cooperation in court.

Seek mediation

Mediation can help both parties reach an agreement. A neutral third party can facilitate discussions and offer previously unconsidered solutions. Mediation can often lead to a quicker and more amicable resolution.

File a motion to compel

If your spouse continues to be uncooperative, you can file a motion to compel with the court. This legal action requests that the court order your spouse to provide the necessary information or take specific actions related to the divorce.

Request a default judgment

If your spouse refuses to participate in the divorce process altogether, you can request a default judgment. This means the court can proceed with the divorce and make decisions without your spouse’s input, based on the information you provide.

Stay focused and patient

Divorces can be emotionally taxing, especially with an uncooperative spouse. Stay focused on your goals and be patient. Lean on your support network for emotional support and keep moving forward.

Moving forward with confidence

Handling an uncooperative ex-spouse during a divorce requires patience and planning. Think about strategies that can create more diplomacy and gain more cooperation from the other party. By doing so, you can navigate this challenging process and move forward with confidence.